Area blocked off by masking tape with the words "Polite Line"

Area blocked off by masking tape with the words "Polite Line"

Polite Line – Outpost Project – Art from the streets – Cockatoo Island Sydney. CC Photo by Neerav Bhatt via Flickr.

It’s becoming a common refrain to hear of the decline of civility, etiquette, and good manners in our culture. Good social habits have seemingly been in decline for years, and the rise of the internet, with its volume and speed, has only diluted what remains of traditional proper conduct. We are all aware of this, right?

But until recently I never felt a lack of civility to be a major problem in the various music communities I have participated in. Music people have, in general, always seemed different to me—people who possess a higher level of character and integrity in pursuit of a particular calling.

In recent months, however, I’ve been stung repeatedly by a sense of indifference and sometimes even rudeness during interactions with colleagues in a way that I am not accustomed to. It seems that now, even in the new music world where we are all essentially in the same (sinking) boat, so-called professional courtesy is no longer a given.

Over the years, I have remained active as a composer, performer, presenter, and writer as well as an avid concert-goer. As a regularly engaged participant wearing many hats in the wider new music community, I have any number of active music-related conversational threads—about concert ideas, proposals, applications—going on at any given time. While some of these threads are part of large-scale processes that don’t always guarantee a response (like job searches or competitions for grants and residencies), many are much more local and personal, involving colleagues and friends I have had ongoing relationships with over many years. It’s one thing if the brass at Lincoln Center doesn’t respond to your unsolicited concert proposal. It’s quite another when a friend who runs a concert series invites you to make a proposal, and then when you do so completely ignores it.

Or when an organization that you’ve worked with off and on for years in various capacities has a major job opening and you apply. Now we all know how tough the market is these days and we never expect to land the job. But isn’t it reasonable to expect that at least your interest would be acknowledged? You are, after all, a friend and colleague, an integral part of the community. But apparently this is no longer the norm.

There are hierarchies, both social and economic, and one way power is too often reinforced is by ignoring those beneath you. But the power equation is not always what you might perceive it to be. So far I’ve talked about the insensitivity of organizations to artists seeking opportunities, but as a presenter, coordinator, or administrator, I’ve encountered artists being similarly insensitive or indifferent to the attention and support they have received from an organization if they feel that organization is less important than they are. When an organization takes an interest in your work, you should at least acknowledge it even if you aren’t able to act on it right away, rather than just ignore or reject it.

Why should we all care about this? Why, for example, should important organizations with busy schedules and high-profile happenings be concerned about random artists that they aren’t currently interested in? Why should artists respond to queries from smaller organizations that might have presented them in the past even if they’re busy or have moved on to bigger venues? Well for one thing, it reflects well on you when you appear accessible, even if technically you aren’t. Most of us in new music are as much a part of the audience as we are the talent, and so it behooves us to be respectful to everyone on all sides.

But also, things can change. When in the role of a presenter and someone approaches me unsolicited, I may not have the time or the inclination to really explore their work right away, but I might the following week (or the following year). Or I might have some false perception about an artist that, through some unexpected turn of events, might completely change. You never know. So I always respond and at least acknowledge that I received their proposal. And as an artist, when I approach someone out of the blue, it’s understood that they might not have any interest in me or my work, and if that’s the case, I can handle it! But if I never hear anything back from them, I’ll never know. If anything, being ignored will turn me off to them as a potential audience member and interested party in the wider community, and that means something.

So what can we do? I know we are all busy busy busy and we all get a thousand emails a day, but it seems to me that responding to your colleagues should be a top priority, regardless of the circumstances. The health of the art and the artists and institutions that pursue it depend in large part on open channels of communication and information. When these exchanges go dark, I am reminded of a story I read about the writer Anne Beattie who, at the very beginning of her career, submitted over a dozen stories to The New Yorker before eventually having one accepted for publication. Now we may not all eventually succeed in our pursuits as she did, but imagine if you were to make a proposal to an organization over a dozen times and they actually responded every time! That would be some useful information, right? Comparing a new music organization with The New Yorker may not be fair, but it’s worth noting that such a prominent institution makes it a priority to respond, as a matter of policy.

There are those in the music world who share this value, and I commend them. As often as I am disappointed by the silence I meet, I am also sometimes pleasantly surprised by the warmth of a response. I only wish it were more often. We live in an age of “signals,” where clicks, likes, opens, views, and plays are monitored and analyzed obsessively. But unfortunately we seem to have stopped sending the most important signal of all—our actual, personal attention. I think we can do better. In the same way that, in the internet age, I have come to embrace the mantra that “it’s better to like than to lurk,” I have embraced the idea that it’s better to respond than to ignore. I invite you to join me.

***

DanJoseph

Dan Joseph is a composer based in New York City. For the past fifteen years, the hammer dulcimer has been the primary vehicle for his music and he is active as a performer with his own chamber ensemble, The Dan Joseph Ensemble, as well as in various improvisational collaborations and as an ocassional soloist. He is also the producer and curator of the monthly music and sound series Musical Ecologies at The Old Stone House in Park Slope, Brooklyn.

You might also enjoy

NewMusicBox provides a space for those engaged with new music to communicate their experiences and ideas in their own words. Articles and commentary posted here reflect the viewpoints of their individual authors; their appearance on NewMusicBox does not imply endorsement by New Music USA.

11 thoughts on “Thank You For Your Reply

1. Ella

Dan,
    Your message and observations are spot on. Communication and acknowledgement, however small, can mean the world to artists, composers and performers everywhere. Your message should be heard by every arts administrator world wide. People have forgotten to take the time to listen…

2. Mike

Dan,

Thank you for writing about this. This is something I’ve also become sensitive to over the last few years. Beyond just correspondence, I’ve seen that such sloppy/indifferent communicating can also muddy the waters when it comes to actually realizing gigs or other engagements. A close cousin to this worth mentioning is the person/colleague who, over time, only contacts you if he/she wants something (a gig, job, favor, etc.) without offering any reciprocity. Such ulterior motives quickly become transparent.

3. Drew

Thanks for writing this, Dan. Such seem to be the disappointments and insults of the marketplace for all of us–except maybe when yours is the featured product of the month. I appreciate your implicit argument that music be a vehicle for community, even communion. I also appreciate your writing as a moralist. Without listening, without courtesy, without loyalties, the business of music loses its soul, its reason for being.

4. Dan Joseph

Thank you all for your comments. As Ella remarked, acknowledgement means a lot! Obviously we are all struggling to navigate the digital deluge of our age, and this makes it all the more important that we make that extra effort. And in the current climate of overload and indifference it becomes that much more meaningful when we do….just do it!

5. Steve

This sounds like a New York City problem. Those of us perform new music in the rest of the country don’t have this problem. Time to move to a community that needs and appreciates new music rather that screaming into the void.

1. Dan Joseph

Thank you for your comment Steve. The issue I raise is certainly present in New York City, but I would hesitate to characterize it as exclusive to that region. But I’m happy to learn that in your community at least, open channels of communication is the norm. Maybe there’s hope for the rest of us! Incidentally, where exactly are you based?

Best regards, Dan

6. Connor Helms

I agree totally. And it’s not contemporary classical, I’ve noticed it in virtually every music scene. I’m in Chicago, so I’m sad to see that it seems to be a widespread issue!

7. Pingback: In the MixDan Joseph - ARTEIDOLIA

8. Dan Gawthrop

Located well away from any major metropolitan center I, too, have noticed an increase in this kind of behavior. Now that I am officially a “senior citizen” I’ve been tempted to write it off as a generational thing, but I’m not certain. The elements of good manners and professional courtesy ought to be less impermanent than the things we might legitimately expect to change over time. Frankly, even if societal expectations in this regard have relaxed since I learned acceptable standards for behavior, this changing situation provides an opportunity to stand out from the crowd by going beyond expectations, and that can have real positive payoffs as you noted!

9. Jacob E. Goodman

Dan,
    I was surprised to read in your article that the New Yorker makes it a priority to respond to every submission; it’s not what I would have expected. So I clicked on the link you give, and what I found was the following, which seems to contradict what you wrote: “We read all submissions within ninety days, and will contact you if we’re interested in publishing your material. We regret that, owing to the volume of submissions we receive, we are unable to call or e-mail unless a story is accepted for publication. If you have not heard from us within ninety days, please assume that we will not be able to publish your manuscript.”
    But I find that I also disagree with your basic premise. About 13 years ago I founded a composers’ cooperative called the New York Composers Circle. We’ve grown from 14 members, with one concert a year, to nearly 80 members, with six public concerts this season and an annual competition for nonmembers. We engage in a voluminous correspondence with many composers, performers, venues, and so on, and I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times we’ve had to bear the brunt of a rude reply or of simply being ignored. I share the feeling you started out with that people in the world of music tend to be more civil than those in the general population, and I’ve never had reason to question that.

10. Dan Joseph

Dear Jacob,

Thank you for your comment. I’m not sure what accounts for our differing experiences, but it seems you are describing a somewhat different situation than those I explore in my article. It would be reasonable to expect correspondence between members and affiliates of a large composers collective to be more fluid and civil than unsolicited or unwanted exchanges between artists and organizations. But whatever the case, I am happy to hear of your positive experience!

As to the New Yorker issue, if you read the linked page more thoroughly you’ll see that with many categories of submissions – Poetry, Shouts & Murmurs and Cartoon – the magazine does in fact respond, or at least does “endeavor” and “try” to do so. Admittedly they do not guarantee a response for Fiction submissions which are presumably the most numerous.

Perhaps it was less than ideal for me to use the Anne Beattie example as evidence of their policy given that she is a writer of fiction, but I feel I make the point strongly enough that an important cultural institution does make it a priority to respond and that we might all aspire to something similar.

Dan