- Looking for love? Everything you ever wanted to know—and some you didn’t—on Internet dating and the new music composer (be sure and check the comments for the real 411). Or take a page from Eric Whitacre. Some, it seems, perfected playing the composer card as soon as they figured out there were hot girls in the college choir.
- Desperately seeking contour/interval serialists? Best to check here instead.
- Amusia is a condition suffered by people who don’t “get” music. I’m sure there’s a joke in there for your next composition department meeting. Meanwhile, take a listening test to see if you yourself are a victim. Warning: You might get those sweaty-palm music dictation flashbacks.
- YouTube has video of the full orchestral version of John Cage’s 4’33” on offer. Refering blogger Steve Hicken quips, “Not the best performance I’ve ever heard, but still.”
- Can’t tell your Death Cab from your Franz Ferdinand? The Standing Room gets a few cavities and helps us cram for the Grammys.
- And to see just how well you were paying attention last week, there will be a pop quiz.
NewMusicBox provides a space for those engaged with new music to communicate their experiences and ideas in their own words. Articles and commentary posted here reflect the viewpoints of their individual authors; their appearance on NewMusicBox does not imply endorsement by New Music USA.