Home / Blogs
Reporting Live from the Minnesota Orchestra’s Composer Institute
Here at NewMusicBox, it is once again our pleasure to welcome the contributions of composers involved in the Minnesota Orchestra’s Composer Institute (Nov. 1-8). Nine composers from across the nation have traveled to Minneapolis to attend seminars, workshops and, most importantly, work on a piece of their music with Osmo Vänskä and the Minnesota Orchestra. It will be a fast-paced experience culminating in a public performance, and this year participants Ted Hearne and Justin Merritt have volunteered to tag team the blogging duties and share their experiences with us. Check this page often throughout the week and follow along.
Photo: Greg Helgeson
- The Final Analysis by Justin Merritt
Last night was the big night: the culmination of a week of Instituting, months of prepraration, and even more months of composing.
- It’s Showtime! by Ted Hearne
Today, the Minnesota Orchestra will play our music in concert, and you’re invited. We’ll be webcast on Minnesota Public Radio at 8 p.m. central time.
- A Day Like Any Other by Justin Merritt
Jim Kendrick made me realize just how much money can be involved in this business and just how many legal questions have no clear answers.
- Neatness Counts: Bucking Trends in Orchestra Notation by Ted Hearne
The standardization of orchestral and notational practice can, if a composer isn’t careful, hold back musical creativity.
- The Great Debate by Justin Merritt
The ferocity, dogmatism, and stubbornness that composers once reserved for discussions of serialism vs. neoclassicism now goes into the new great debate of our age: Finale vs. Sibelius.
- Hello, My Name Is: Harnessing the Composer Network by Ted Hearne
A large part of this whole program is about relating to those who are presenting or hearing your music in a positive way, and learning how to benefit yourself through good communication.
- Overheard in Minneapolis by Justin Merritt
Heard in the bathroom just before the concert: “Well, have to wait 17 mintues through some new music before we get to the good stuff.”
- Meet the Minnesota Orchestra Composer Institute Bloggers, Part 2 by Justin Merritt
- Meet the Minnesota Orchestra Composer Institute Bloggers by Ted Hearne