Twenty-nine composers have been awarded a total of $23,260 through the Composer Assistance Program. The American Music Center awards approximately $85,000 over three rounds annually through the program. The money goes directly to composers to assist in the production of materials for premiere performances.
The composers selected range in age from 24 to 75 and live in 12 states. Composers must be members of the AMC to apply for an award.
AMC Executive Director Richard Kessler characterized the program as “vitally important” to the organization’s members. “This program has provided much needed help to individual artists for over forty years—the oldest program of its kind,” he said.
Since 1962, CAP has provided over $2 million in support to more than 1,200 composers.
- Daniel Isaac Asia, Tucson, AZ, Breath in a Ram’s Horn; Lontano; Purcell Room, South Bank, London, England
- Eve Beglarian, New York, NY, DollHouse (music theater with electronics); St. Ann’s Warehouse, Brooklyn, NY
- Elizabeth Brown, Brooklyn, NY, Beatitudes (chamber); Winsor Music; Follen Community Church, Lexington, MA
- Garrett Byrnes, Bloomington, IN, Persist (cello octet); Tarab Cello Ensemble; Taplin Hall, Princeton, NJ
- Richard Cumming, Grand Saline, TX, Jubilato: In Memoriam John Browning (orchestra); Rhode Island Philharmonic Orchestra; VMA Center for Arts & Culture, Providence, RI
- Peter Edwards, Del Mar, CA Schlag-Holtlew-Distances (fl, gtr, vc, perc); Noise Ensemble; Aethaneum Library, La Jolla, CA
- Vivian Fung, Forest Hills, NY, String Quartet; Avalon String Quartet; Columbus Chamber Music Society; Columbus, OH
- Yoav Gal, Brooklyn, NY, Mosheh (video-opera); Pamplemouse Ensemble; Merkin Concert Hall, New York, NY
- Joel Harrison, New York, NY, Faith in Nights (percussion and piano); Boston Conservatory, Boston, MA
- Sean Hickey, Brooklyn, NY, Sagasse (chamber orchestra); One World Symphony; New York, NY
- Jonathan Bailey Holland, Somerville, MA, Motor City Dance Mix (orchestra); Detroit Symphony Orchestra; Max M. Fisher Concert Hall, Detroit, MI
- Ruo Huang, New York, NY, Omnipresence (violin concerto); Queens Symphony Orchestra with Cho-Liang Lin, violin; Queens, NY
- Stephen M. Jones, American Fork, UT, at the exactest point (orchestra); Chicago Symphony Orchestra; Symphony Center; Chicago, IL
- Louis Karchin, Short Hills, NJ, Orpheus (music for dance); Earplay Ensemble; Yerba Buena Center for the Arts; San Francisco, CA
- Christopher Kaufman, Long Beach, NY, The Phoenix (chamber ensemble); CHIRON; The Flea Theater, New York, NY
- Felipe Lara, Revere, MA, Requiem (choral); Arlington-Belmont Chamber Chorus; Arlington, MA
- Jeff Lederer, Brooklyn, NY, Los Sazones (orchestra and salsa band); Chicago Symphony; Ravinia Festival, Chicago, IL
- Christopher Loy, Ithaca, NY, String Quartet No. 1; The Ariadne String Quartet; Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY
- David Ludwig, Philadelphia, PA, Radiance (oboe and string orchestra); Richmond Symphony; Richmond, VA
- Ursula Mamlok, New York, NY, Concerto for Oboe and Chamber Orchestra; New Juilliard Ensemble; Alice Tully Hall, New York, NY
- Charles N. Mason, Birmingham, AL, Expressway (orchestra); Alabama Symphony Orchestra; Birmingham, AL
- Thomas Pasatieri, New York, NY, The Seagull (opera); San Francisco Opera Center; San Francisco, CA
- Paul Richards, Gainesville, FL, Symphony No. 1 “Premonitions” (orchestra); Jacksonville Symphony Orchestra; Jacoby Hall, Jacksonville, FL
- Michele Rosewoman, New York, NY, Big Bad (big band); BMI/New York Jazz Orchestra; New York, NY
- Lewis Spratlan, Amherst, MA, Zoom (chamber orchestra); Sequitur; Miller Theatre, New York, NY
- Allen Strange, Bainbridge Island, WA, Extended Play (bassoon quartet); Acolade Ensemble; American Embassy, Bucharest, Romania
- Frances White, Princeton, NJ, Centre Bridge (string orchestra and tape); New Jersey Symphony Orchestra in various locations throughout New Jersey
- Amnon Yehuda Wolman, Brooklyn, NY, Cruising Prohibited When Lights Flashing (electronic & vocal); Gay Gotham Chorus; Greenwich House, New York, NY
- Gregg Wramage, Brooklyn, NY, in shadows, in silence (chamber orchestra); Cabrillo Festival Orchestra; Santa Cruz Civic Auditorium, Santa Cruz, CA